The Way it Is...

Life happens.  Death happens.  It's just the way it is.  I keep telling myself that but it's not working.  My heart is broken.  BROKEN.

Our dog, Maverick, passing away is just sending me to a place I'm not familiar with.  My grief is so large over him.  Usually I feel like I'm a selfish person with how I feel about things, but this time, I know it's true love lost with him being gone.  I loved him, and he loved me.  He loved all 5 of us.

The relationships we have with people have ups and downs and that's how it should be.

The relationship we have with our pets is much different.  It IS a Relationship. And it's always UP.

Even when Maverick had accidents in the house, or damaged something it really was never a huge deal.  Yes, we handled it and moved on.  I always felt like he thought he messed up but to me, I think we messed up.  We didn't get home fast enough  to let him out.  Or never added that doggy door so he could go outside when nature called.  We left Leather/Feather items out that we KNEW he couldn't pass them up.  Feather pillows, leather shoes, buckles, trunk handles etc.  One time he returned the zipper to my boots though.  That was nice.

Remember when he picked Us.  Five puppies I think it was and the rest wanted nothing to do with us but Ron Burgundy Really liked my boots.  On the way to the car in Travis' arms he became, "Maverick".  He slept curled up on my lap in our 4 door Honda Civic for the long drive home from Silverdale including a ferry ride.  The Civic later was replaced for Honda Pilot.  Growing family.

Remember yelling Buckin Bronco and he would spin around and around bucking like a horse.

Remember whenever I said Cuddles and he would bury his face into me and cuddle.

Remember that time he clothes lined me with his leash...  I got a good 3 rolls across our driveway.

Remember when I sent him to attack Lexi for sleeping in the baby crib...  GET LEXI! she never did it again.

Remember the time Travis took Lee for a ride on his motorcycle for the first time, and as you guys speedily left the drive way, Maverick chased you with a frisbee in his mouth.  All the way down the road with me running after on foot full on pregnant with Owen.  This story had a happy ending... Travis somehow miraculously saw Maverick following.

Remember when he ran across the frozen swimming pool... and didn't fall through.

Remember when he stayed at Amy & Tom's place while we went to Ross Lake and ate her garbage... then came home to us and threw up a belt?  Tom, you missing anything?

Remember when we went outside without a leash, and he never left our sides.

Remember when he was always friendly with other dogs.

Remember when we came home and he was wiggling at the top of the stairs to say Hi!

Remember when we would leave the house and ALWAYS say goodbye to Mav!

Remember when he wasn't allowed on the bed, but jumped up at bedtime for 10 minutes and got down on his own.  Every time.

Remember when he let us know someone was at the door.

Remember how much fun he had at the beach.  Any beach.

Remember how he pooped in the lake water.

Remember how he would swim to us at Lake Goodwin.... come back Maverick!


I know there are more memories, so many more.  He had such a sweet face perfectly proportioned with the softest ears.  Gosh they were soft.  And he always smelled good to me.

It's quiet here now.  We miss you.

Comments

Popular Posts